Albuquerque attorney prepared to tackle tough claims in New Mexico
Nearly half of all car accidents in New Mexico happen at intersections. When multiple cars traveling in different directions reach a crossing point, it can create some confusion and frustration. Some drivers become impatient and fail to yield the right of way to other motorists. Some drivers fail to pay attention to the oncoming intersection because they are distracted or impaired. There are many factors that can lead to an intersection accident.
When intersections accidents happen, they are almost always due to negligence. That’s why you need an experienced car accident attorney who can investigate your crash and find out what happened. With years of experience helping injured motorists seek compensation, Albuquerque car accident attorney Andras Szantho is prepared to take on the most complex cases. Contact attorney Szantho today and find out how he can help you.
Why intersection accidents are so complex
There is no single type of intersection accident. Any type of car accident can happen at an intersection. There can be multiple factors involved, multiple parties and more than one driver at fault. Intersection accidents can include:
- Rear-end accidents: Inattentive drivers who are distracted or impaired often fail to stop when approaching an intersection. This can result in the driver striking another vehicle from behind. Failure to take evasive measures can result in a high impact rear-end accident.
- Head-on collisions: These car accidents are very rare at intersections but can happen when one driver traveling straight ahead collides with the front-end of a vehicle attempting a left turn.
- T-bone accidents: These car accidents are the most common at 4-way intersections. They often occur when one driver fails to yield the right of way. Running a traffic light or stop sign can result in a T-bone accident, when one car broadsides another vcar and forms the shape of a T.
- Sideswipes: Intersections with multiple lanes can be a recipe for disaster when many cars are turning at the same time. If one car veers outside its lane while turning, it can result in a sideswipe, potentially affecting multiple vehicles.
Intersection accidents often happen due to:
- Distracted driving: Using a handheld device, adjusting the radio, eating, talking without watching the road and other distracting activities are one of the leading causes of intersection accidents.
- Impaired driving: Drunk driving, drugged driving and drowsy driving often cause delays in judgment and reaction time. Impaired drivers often fail to take evasive measures to avoid a crash. For this reason, intersection accidents caused by impaired drivers tend to happen at high impact.
- Reckless driving: Impatient drivers often speed, cut off other motorists and attempt to blow through red lights. While reckless drivers may get away with driving dangerously for an extended period of time, it only takes one wrong maneuver to cause a devastating intersection accident.
- Inclement weather: New Mexico can experience a wide range of weather – from heavy rain to sleet, frost and even snow sometimes during winter. All these storms can impact our roads. Drivers who fail to reduce their speed when approaching a large puddle can hydroplane, resulting in an intersection accident.
- Vehicle defects: Brake failure, tire blowouts, steering wheel complications or loose wheels can be contributing factors to an intersection accident.
- Lack of care when traffic lights malfunction: In rare cases, traffic lights may malfunction, which can be confusing for drivers. In the event that you approach a malfunctioning traffic light, it’s best to stop and make sure it is safe to proceed.
Why should I choose Szantho to handle my intersection accident claim?
Complex car accidents, such as those that happen at intersections, must be taken seriously from the start. If you’re able to, you should take the following steps to secure a solid claim:
- Secure the scene and move your car out of the way of traffic.
- Check to see if everyone involved in the accident is OK and call for an ambulance if needed.
- Call the police so they can examine the crash scene and create a detailed police report.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with all parties involved in the crash.
- Take pictures of the crash scene.
- Speak to witnesses.
- File a claim with your insurance company but keep your comments to a minimum.
After you have followed these steps, you should always seek immediate medical attention. Even if you seem fine, a medical evaluation may find an underlying injury that you’re unaware of. Additionally, some injuries don’t create any complications until days after the car accident.
Your next course of action should be to consult with an experienced car accident attorney. Albuquerque attorney Andras Szantho knows how to negotiate with insurance companies. He can handle all the paperwork so you can focus on what matters most – your recovery. Attorney Szantho takes a detailed approach towards each case, including searching for crucial details from the police report, witness accounts and your medical evaluation. Such information can help build a strong claim. If the insurance companies refuse to compensate your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, attorney Szantho is prepared to take them to trial.
Contact the Szantho Law Firm today and schedule a free and confidential case evaluation.