New Mexico Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
A truck accident lawyer you can trust
With fully loaded trailers attached, these massive vehicles can weigh as much as 80,000 lbs. For this reason, the drivers and their companies are held to higher safety standards than other road users. A single accident involving a semi-truck can be catastrophic and result in multiple injuries. That’s why you need a New Mexico semi-truck accident lawyer fighting for your rights.
Why semi-truck accidents are so devastating
Semi-truck accidents are commonly attributed to:
- Speeding: At low speeds, these vehicles can inflict a significant amount of damage in a crash. However, that damage can greatly increase with speed. A semi-truck driver who exceeds the speed limit, especially on a congested roadway, poses a serious danger to other road users.
- Distracted driving: When drivers operate semi-trucks while distracted by electronic devices, in-vehicle features, paperwork, eating, or other bad habits, they increase the risk of causing accidents significantly. Accidents involving distracted truck drivers often happen at full speed and result in fatal injuries.
- Tired driving: Semi-truck drivers are required to comply with the federal hours-of-service law, which prohibits them from driving more than 11 hours within a 24-hour period. However, this doesn’t guarantee that a driver receives an adequate amount of rest while on his or her off-time. Accidents involving tired truck drivers usually happen at full speed, since the driver does not take any evasive measures.
- Driver inexperience: Operating a semi-truck takes a great deal of training and skill. However, since the trucking industry has such a high turnover rate, companies are often willing to hire anyone they can find. This includes drivers with little or no experienced, or drivers who don’t have the required license to operate a semi-truck.
- Mechanical defects and maintenance issues: Trucking companies are required by law to ensure that their vehicles are well maintained and safe to drive. When they fail to do so, tire blowouts can occur, trucks can lose wheels, and brakes can fail at high speeds.
- Improper loading: Federal laws restrict the amount of cargo that can be loaded into trailers. However, some trucking companies cut corners to move as many commercial goods as possible. When cargo spills out onto Albuquerque roadways, the consequences can be devastating to other drivers.
But negligent parties often deny doing anything wrong and refuse to accept responsibility. That’s why you need a semi truck accident lawyer who knows how to get results.
Your claim may be more complex than you think
Unlike crashes involving two cars, semi-trucks accidents can be very complex. If other road users were affected, several insurance companies may be involved in a single case. Additionally, the cab, trailer, and cargo are insured separately. A single semi-truck accident can cost insurance companies millions of dollars in damages, and they’ll stop at nothing to protect their bottom line.
Furthermore, you may be dealing with a well-funded trucking company that is determined to cover up any wrongdoing on their part. Not only will they hire the best attorneys they can find, they’ll launch an investigation using their own team of adjusters. Their insurance company may offer a settlement that falls far short of covering the damages you suffered.
That’s why if you or a loved one was injured in a crash involving a semi-truck, you need an experienced truck accident attorney with a wealth of legal knowledge on your side. Attorney Andras Szantho knows how to gather crucial evidence from the crash scene, witness accounts, and a police report to prove that negligence on the part of the driver or trucking company resulted in your crash.
We know you have a lot of questions. What if I was found to be partially at fault? What is the average semi truck accident settlement? Will I have to go to court? You can get answers to your questions and learn about your legal options when you talk to us.